We’ve had pie crust in the freezer for a while now, and every time Shay Shay opens the drawer he says, “Can you make pie, mommy?” I say, “Yes.” and then blow it off because who really has time to make pie?! But a galette I can handle. Galettes are basically just free formed pies, and I use store bought pie crusts so no measuring, no kneading, and no pans! I filled my pie crust with fresh strawberries marinated in honey and elderberry syrup then topped it off with cardamom whipped cream! The perfect treat for Summer!
Strawberry Galette with Cardamom Whipped Cream
- 1 pie crust 9 inch defrosted if frozen
- 2 cups strawberries halved or quartered if large
- 2 tbsp black elderberry syrup or 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp raw sugar for sprinkling crust
Cardamom Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together strawberries, elderberry syrup or balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, honey, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
- Unroll pie crust onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a slotted spoon scoop out the marinated strawberries from the bowl and place them into the center of pie crust leaving a 2 inch border.
- Fold over and pleat the uncovered pie dough onto the edge of the strawberries to make a crust.
- Brush with olive oil (or egg wash if preferred) and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until strawberries are softened and crust is golden brown.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Gently mix together store bought whipped cream with ground cardamom.
- When ready to serve galette top with cardamom whipped cream or vanilla ice cream