As we head into Christmas its nice to have an arsenal of a few comforting, BUT healthy meals to make at the start of the new year. What’s even better is when you can turn to your multi cooker like the Instant Pot to do the bulk cooking for you. This time i used the flavors of mole to make beef chuck roast that you will love! It’s easy to put together and has a smokey, spicy, rich flavor. You can eat this with brown rice or make beef tacos or tostadas. The peanut salsa adds more mole flavor to the beef and gives a lovely crunchy bite. Don’t skip it!
Instant Pot Mole Style Chuck Roast
Dry rubbed chuck roast seared in the Instant Pot, then cooked with an easy mole style sauce until the beef is tender and falls apart. Serve with a delicious roasted peanut salsa.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Pre Chuck Roast
- 1 1/2 cups onion sliced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 chili pepper in adobo sauce 2 peppers for more spice
- 4 oz. coffee can use decaf
- 3/4 cup broth
- 2 tbsp dry rub see below
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts toasted
- 3 stalks green onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar can also use honey or agave
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Remove chuck roast from packaging and pat dry. Place in a large bowl or tray. Mix together ingredients for rub; reserve 2 tablespoons of rub. Season all sides of chuck roast with mole rub.
- To make the base for the mole place tahini, tomato paste, garlic, chili in adobo, coffee, and the reserved spice rub in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and set aside. For a spicier sauce you may add 2 chilis from the chilis in adobo.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute Mode. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and then sear chuck roast on all sides (about 5 minutes on each side). Switch off from Saute Mode.
- Add sliced onions, mole sauce, and 3/4 cup of broth. Stir so chuck roast is covered.
- Cook chuck roast on HI pressure using Manual mode in the Instant Pot for 45 minutes. Then let the pressure naturally release for 10 min (it will read L0:10).
- Release the rest of the pressure from the Instant Pot, and remove the lid. Gently shred mole beef with a fork. Add 1 tsp of lime juice, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- While the beef is cooking make the peanut salsa.
- Finely chop toasted peanuts, cilantro, and green onion. Season with lime juice and salt to taste. Peanuts may be substituted with peptitas (roasted pumpkin seeds).
- Serve with rice or taco style with tortillas. Garnish with peanut salsa, avocado, sour cream, and sliced radishes if desired.
- Toast peanuts in a convection oven or toaster oven for just a few minutes. They can burn easily.
- If you want more sauce you may add a little more broth. I recommend doing this after the beef has cooked so that you don’t end up with a mole that is runny.
This recipe is sponsored by Pre Beef which is 100% grass fed and finished beef that is pasture raised without added hormones or antibiotics. Use the store locator to find Pre Beef near you!
Leave a Reply