The best twist on classic nachos–Barbecue Chicken Nachos!! You will want to make these all the time…we sure do! They make a great appetizer when entertaining guests, for game days, and honestly, this is such a fun meal for dinner! Plus they are SO easy. I love a quick, crowd pleaser recipe 🙂
No Instant Pot…No Problem!
I recommend making the chicken in a multi-cooker like the Instant Pot if you have one. This is probably the easiest way to get pulled chicken.
If you don’t have a multi-cooker or want to save some time you can use pulled rotisserie chicken.
Rotisserie Chicken: Saute sliced onions in a large saute pan for 4-6 minutes until soft and translucent. Add shredded rotisserie chicken and barbecue sauce to pan. Simmer until chicken is heated through. Add salt if needed.
You can also use chicken breast tenders for this recipe.
Chicken Breast Tenders: Saute sliced onions in a large saute pan for 4-6 minutes until soft and translucent. Add chicken tenders to pan and sear until golden brown on both sides. Then add barbecue sauce and cook covered until chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and shred the chicken.
Easy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Nachos
BBQ Chicken Nachos
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce your choice
- 4-5 cups tortilla chips
- additional toppings like avocado, lime, pico de gallo
- 12 oz slaw mix or shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic crushed or grated
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 scallions (green and white parts) finely chopped
BBQ Chicken Nachos
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Turn multi-cooker (Instant Pot) to Saute mode and coat the bottom of the liner with oil (1-2 tbsp).
- When hot add sliced onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Turn off Saute mode.
- Add chicken and your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Cook on High Pressure for 12 mins. Release pressure.
- Shred chicken using a fork and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Layer tortilla chips, shredded BBQ chicken, and cheese on a large sheet pan/baking tray. Bake until cheese is melty (5 minutes or so) and remove from oven.
- Serve with coleslaw and your favorite toppings!
- In a large bowl mix together ingredients for coleslaw dressing.
- Add slaw mix or shredded cabbage and set aside until nachos are ready to serve.
Some Quick Notes…
Feel free to adjust this recipe to your taste! Use a barbecue sauce that you really love. It can be store-bought or homemade! If you want a little heat to this chicken I recommend adding 1 chopped chipotle in adobo to the barbecue sauce or a 1/2 teaspoon or so of cayenne pepper.
I highly recommend trying this coleslaw! It’s a little healthier than your typical slaw and it works so well with these nachos! It’s like eating a pulled barbecue chicken sandwich with the fixins’.
The slaw is my version of salad at dinner 😉 but if you aren’t a fan of slaw then use sour cream for that touch of creaminess.
Leave a Reply